Project name: Upgrading of three Roundabouts, Limassol area, highway Nicosia-Paphos, Cyprus
Terms: June 2004- December 2008
Customer - Ministry of Transport, Communications and Works, Republic of Cyprus
General contractor - consortium J&P and J&P(AVAX)
Special Structural Contractor - ARGYRIDES POLYS THEMELIOTECHNIKI CO LTD
Appointed Structural Laboratory - Sourmelis Geotechnical Laboratories
Contract cost: EUR 97 million
Polemindia and Limassol Port roundabout
Upgrading of the existing Limassol By-pass roundabouts (Port and Polemidhia Round-abouts), to grade separated interchanges in order to provide free flow of trafic on the by-pass road, direction Nicosia to Paphos. The bridgeworks consist of a continuous structure located over the teo roundabouts. The total bridge length is 1108m from east to west abutments. Aproximate length of span 35m.
Agia Phila roundabout
Upgrating of an approximately 2.2km section of the Limassol By-pass and the construction of a grade separated junction at Ayia Phyla roundabout. The grade separation is achieved by constructing a 520m long bridge with typically 37m spans carrying the By-pass over the existing roundabout.
Upgrating of the existing roundabout and its conversin to an overpass flyover, as part of the motorway from Nicosia to Paphos. The total length of the project is 2.1km. Construction of 3 bridges, retaining wall, pedestrial underpasses, box culverts, approach ramps of the reinforced soil type and rearrangement of the roundabout to include 3 lanes.Project web site: Upgrading of 3 Roundabouts, Limassol area, CYPRUS
Work performed by GWCD under this project:
- construction of supporting scaffolds at bridge overflow - 122400 cubic meters
- installation and reinforcement of the formwork for filling the span of the bridge - 14480 sq.m.
- Removing the formwork and dismantling the support scaffold
- construction of retaining walls up to 7 meters high (binding of fittings, installation of shuttering, concrete pouring, formwork removal, surface cleaning of concrete) - 2700 sq.m
- construction of three underground passages - a total length of 240 meters
- stacking of decorative concrete - 750 sq.m.
- laying a curb stone 11800 meters
- construction of the pavement (preparation of a trough, filling and gravel crushing,
- filling with cement mortar and laying of sidewalk tiles) - 8200 sq.m
- installation of fencing pavement structures - 6200 meters
- installation of sound absorption barriers 7400 meters
- installation of storm sewerage and bridge engineering networks